Here the steps to install LyX on Windows:
- Download MiKTeX to provide LaTeX (usually the 64bit version)
- Select the installation directory and remember the path
- Complete the installation procedure
- Download and install LyXWinInstaller
- Press Next until a dictionary list is presented: add dictionaries for your languages
- Before installing the MiKTeX will be shown:
- Click Install and proceed.
- You should get an Update popup for MiKTeX, check the connection settings and then proceed and click Next to update all packages
- After the update close the MiKTeX popup and wait to LyX installation to finish: it should take minutes, to see progress click “See details” so you can see it’s not hanged up but it’s simply fetching different templates you can use later.
- Select Launch LyX and start using LyX
Now you can enjoy LyX for Windows to create PDF using LaTeX without having to deal with the usual formatting hassles of a WYSIWYG editor.
If you’re a beginner or you want to jog your memory about LyX select Help > Tutorial.
To export to PDF you can user File > Export and then select PDF LuaTeX or PDF XeTeX. In my case LuaTeX generate larger document than XeTeX but both are nicer than those generated by ps2pdf.