To delete git files uploaded accidentally to GitHub (or any other public repository) do these steps:
- Download https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/ as suggested by GitHub
- git clone –mirror GIT_REPOSITORY_URL
- cd path/to/cloned/repository
- Download BFG
- java -jar /path/to/download/dir/bfg-VERSION.jar –delete-files filename.ext
- Run the command specified by BFG (usually git reflog expire –expire=now –all && git gc –prune=now –aggressive)
- git push
If you get an error on pull, probably you haven’t cloned the repository as step 2.
Browsing the public history, any reference to the filename.ext file disappear.
Read more about BFG and the –mirror option on this discussion.